The largest in Baltic countries manufacturer of nitrogen fertilizers company AB Achema (Jonava, Lithuania) put into operation make-up syngas drying unit at ammonia plant АМ-80 under technology of JSC GIAP.
In July 2016 at AB Achema ammonia plant АМ-80 make-up syngas drying unit, designed by JSC GIAP, was successfully put into operation. Package supply of licensed equipment for drying unit was performed by ALVIGO Group.
Works under this project have been started in 2013 as part of JSC GIAP engineers’ developments of basic design for revamping of ammonia plant АМ-80 with purpose to reduce specific energy intensity for not less than 0.5 Gcal/t NH3.
One of the technical activity for revamping, provided by basic design, was implementation of make-up syngas drying unit by ammonia washing after 2nd stage of compressor pos. 103-J with alternation of entry point for make-up syngas into ammonia synthesis section. This technical measure was chosen as “energy saving” not by accident, because, considering quickly return of capital costs, implementation of drying unit will allow the following:
- Provide the depth of syngas drying till moisture residual value ≈ 0 ppm;
- Reduce the ammonia concentration at inlet of ammonia converter and increase the conversion degree of nitrogen-hydrogen mixture into ammonia;
- Reduce circulation rate and pressure drop in ammonia synthesis cycle;
- Reduce specific energy resources consumption for ammonia product production due to reduction of HP steam consumption of syngas compressor steam turbine.
In conjunction with syngas cleaning in filter-separator from compressor oil, that is also provided by this project, implementation of make-up syngas drying unit allows reduction of irreversible catalyst poisoning of ammonia converter by oxygen containing compound (H2O and CO2 in syngas) and sulfur compounds, that can be contained in compressor oil.
ALVIGO GC performed the following work package under this project:/p>
- Elaboration of design documentation;
- Elaboration of detail design documentation;
- Supply of packaged equipment;
- Supervision for erection of unit and performing of commissioning works./li>
When put into operation the equipment of unit for make-up syngas drying and filter-separator for oil at ammonia plant АМ-80 at AB Achema enterprise the following parameters have been recorded:
- Growth of ammonia content at inlet of converter for 0.4% vol.;
- Increasing of ammonia production per 1 t/h;
- Consumption reduction of purge gases for 800 m3/h;
- Reduction of specific energy intensity for 0.185 Gcal/t of ammonia.
Make-up syngas drying unit includes three items of equipment and compactly located on existing sites of operating ammonia plant.